Friday, May 23, 2014

Ramjeet Singh (Romy) talks to The Foundations TV about Gongs as sound healing

By Gauri Chandna

Q: Tell us something about your background
A: I was born in Manila, Philippine Islands to a family that had a strong religious orientation.  Both my grandfathers were protestant ministers and both my parents went to religious schools from elementary through high school and college.  I was raised in my parents' faith but as a sophomore at the University of Vermont, I began my own exploration of Eastern thought and religions as a comparative Religion major.  It was there that I became enamored with Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. 


I was fortunate that the Department of Religion at UVM was rooted in phenomenology of experience and cultural anthropology because was able to experience spiritual practices from great masters at the time.  It was my exposure to Carl Jung in the Religion Department that I became interested in psychology. I spent a brief time in the PhD program in Religious Studies at McGill U.  Then moved on to Master's program in Clinical Psychology at Central Michigan U. after which I went on to a PhD program in Counseling Psychology at Michigan State University.  After I received my Ph.D., I was fortunate to have been accepted to clinical training program at Dartmouth Medical School,
Department of Psychiatry and then to a postdoctoral clinical training program at Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry.  I was trained by the leading theorist and researchers in the world.

Q: When did you get introduced to Kundalini Yoga? 
A: Throughout my training, I continued reading a practicing being in contact with people interested in meditation and alternative forms of change other than psychotherapy.  During the Men's movement, I was introduced to the Native American Vision Quest rites of passage and worked with a group called Soulstice Journeys for many years leading Vision Quests wilderness retreats.

About 10 years ago, I was  introduced to Kundalini Yoga as taught Yogi Bhajan.  I experienced such profound emotional/spiritual/psychological transformation from this type of yoga that I believed it was important to do some research in using it as an adjunct treatment to PTSD.  I was able to work with a group of very bright and talented yogis and reasearchers from Harvard Medical School, the Guru Ram Das Center and U. of Toronto.  We developed a Kundalini Yoga protocol that is being tested now in U. of Toronto.

Q: Tell us something about your involvement with sound healing.
A: My interest in sound healing began as a child since I came from a musical family. I learned early on the power of the voice through singing.  More recently I was introduced to Kirtan and helped form the Kirtan Wallah called MANASAA. In addition, through another teacher, I was introduced to the Sufi Dances of Universal Peace, which is another form of sound healing.  

However, it was through Kundalini Yoga that I was introduced to the gongs.  And it was throught the grace of God and Guru that I was given my first 2 gongs.  About 2 years ago, I decided to ask the UNIVERSE for a gong since I did not have enough money to buy one.  I posted a request on FaceBook for a gong and within 30 minutes, a musician acquaintance of mine said that I could have a gong that he had.  Fifteen minutes later, another post appeared from another musician acquaintance who told me that she had a dream the night before that she was suppose to give her gong away, and, she believed I was the one she was to give it to.  This is a very special gong handmade many, many years ago by an indigenous gong maker in Indonesia.  She gave me a photo of the gong being made.  Not only did this happen, but I was blessed to be teaching at Open Space Yoga, Nashua, NH where the coordinator of the studio also has a love for the gong and talent for playing them.  We now have a total of 9 gongs at Open Space Yoga.  As part of our SEVA, we have a GONG MEDITATION every Sunday night from 7p - 8p and all that money goes to a non-profit organization in need.

Q: Tell us something about sound healing. 
A: Most recently, I have been blessed to study formally about the gong and sound healing through Mitch Nur, Ph.D. who is one of the world's most renowned authority on indigenous sound healing instruments including the gong. I have also began studyinig with Don Conreaux who is known as The Gong Master. He was one of Yogi Bhajan's first students. He was given the directive from Yogi Bhajan to develop gong healing. He has written about the vibrational healing through the gong.

To me using sound makes the most sense in healing. Fundamentally, we are made up of atoms that are vibrating at certain frequencies and when our vibrational energy is awry, then sound can be useful in the healing process. It puts us in harmony with the Universal sound current called the Naad. When we use sound as teacher (Shabd Guru), we are truly on the path of harmonious healing.
I am doing individual sessions using a technique that I have developed called Healing Into Wholiness through vibrational harmony with the Infinite. I am also in the process of starting weekly Healing Into Wholiness group sessions. 

As you can see, I live in two worlds which I am bridging.  The world of traditional psychiatry/medicine and the other world of alternative ways of healing through sound and movement.  Both are important and need each other to help us make changes in our lives that are positive and long-lasting.  It is important to remember that our world (including us) are all made up of vibrating atoms and thus, does it not make sense that we would use the vibration of sound to heal whatever ails us?