Thursday, May 8, 2014

Shanthi Yogini talks to The Foundations TV

By Gauri Chandna

In a world full of struggles, jealousies and negativity, it is sometimes difficult to find happiness. Shanthi (Joyful) Yogini has not only found that for herself but is also joyfully sharing it with the world. It was inspiring to get to know her as person and about her personal journey from being a single mom to a Yoga Master who is making a difference in so many lives that she is touching.

GauriTell us something about your background

Shanthi: I was born and brought up in India, and was introduced to chanting, devotional singing, classical dance, Yoga and community service. I completed my engineering securing University First Rank and previously worked in software. My late father G.K.Kannan, my first Guru, has written 2 books on Vedas in English. Sanskrit(Samskritam) is my home language and my daughter is the only teenager in USA who can claim it as her mother-tongue.  
When I came to USA with my 1.5 year old daughter, I allowed negative emotions to influence me as I was a single mother. Putting the ancient wisdom into practice not only helped me to heal but trained me to be happy from the inside out no matter what. I then decided to share this wisdom with others for the rest of my life.
So I resigned my software job, to enjoy multiple roles – Empowerment and Happiness Ambassador, Dancer, Interactive Storyteller, Art & Culture Educator and Motivational Speaker.
My "Happiness for Education" movement has a mission to empower a million conscious people to “Live a happier life through Ancient Practices and contribute for the Freedom of one million Child slaves and Education of one million Children in Ancient Vedic wisdom”.
    
    Gauri: According to you, what is Yoga and who all can benefit from it, and how?

Shanthi: Yoga is NOT relaxing exercises for flexibility. It is the time-tested art and science of living. It is India’s greatest gift to the world. If Yoga is a HUGE tree, Yoga pose is just one branch of it. Unfortunately the word Yoga these days has become synonymous with Yoga poses.
Everything you do in life is only to be happy, yet there is a WIDE GAP between where you want to be and where you are. Yoga bridges the gap making you happier, fulfilled, and harmonious amidst chaos.
Yoga to me is union at 3 levels.  (1) That of body and mind (2) That of oneself and others (3) That of individual with the supreme.
Even just one Yoga pose (Aasana) a day can make you energetic and healthy. What can be said of ALL that comprises Yoga?
Yoga helps students excel in their studies.
Artists become creative, singers enhance voice tone and dancers stay youthful, and balanced.
For those with ADHD, it increases focus.
It benefits professionals whose jobs are stressful and sedentary.
Yoga changes one’s attitude to life. So parent-child or partner relationships improve.
For the sick and the grieving, it enables physical and mental healing.
The world cannot create another comprehensive system like Yoga. Yoga is the super set and everything else is a sub-set.

Gauri: What is unique about the way you teach Yoga?

Shanthi: Following qualities are my uniqueness:
a.      Authenticity – I have been living and breathing Yoga in ALL its forms since birth. I offer Yoga in its pristine pure form. I adhere only to the time-tested practices, and avoid modern variations that may compromise on the fundamentals of Yoga. My students comment that I am the REAL DEAL.
b.      Independence and Confidence - I don’t just “Instruct” or “Teach” Yoga. As a Yoga Master, I train both Yoga teachers and students, and empower them to become confident and independent of me by explaining the how and why of everything.
c.      Flexibility in schedule – Since the students are confident, they can schedule their practice whenever they want at home.
d.      Efficiency - The techniques are taught in such a way that even 1 or 2 minutes can be utilized well.
e.      Simplicity – My focus is on simple poses done rightly rather than complex poses
f.       Variety – I train them in not just poses, but ALL aspects of Yoga beyond the mat and its applicability in daily life, ensuring union at all the 3 levels.
g.      Fun - I make it fun by intertwining story and/or Bharatanatyam dance with Yoga poses. Dance is a minor stream of Yoga and forms Naatya-Yoga.


Gauri: Do you believe in Karma? If yes, how does that relate to Yoga?

Shanthi: Karma is a law just like law of gravity. Karma which literally means “Action” is the Indian term for Newton’s 3rd law “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction” or “As you sow, so you reap”.
Karma is the process that leads us to the state of Yoga (union). And Yoga is the process that leads us to the state of zero Karma. Both support each other.
Every action we do, no matter its reaction, prepares us to the ultimate state of happiness that we are longing for.  Sometimes we make mistakes and do actions that we regret later. Yoga trains us to let go of the regrets and view failures as stepping stones to success. At the same time, Yoga by enabling us to be always in the “Present”, makes us act with wisdom and clarity. This results in less Negative Karma and more Good Karma, which finally leads to Zero Karma.
Karma is interpreted as destiny by some, which simply means that you forgot WHEN you sowed the seed, but you are now reaping the sweet or bitter fruit. If you understand that it is the law of life, you are less likely to be affected by it. You also have the opportunity NOW to sow the desired seeds and create your own destiny. Yoga helps you in that.

Gauri:   Tell us something about the EMPOWER system that you have developed.

Shanthi: Yoga is the path to Empowerment. So I train people to take charge and create their own future through My 7 Step E.M.P.O.W.E.R system which stands for
E- Ethical Values  (They determine your behavior and relationship with others - You being straightforward or compassionate)
M-Movement  (How you move your body, whether on a treadmill, or in an aerobics class or doing Yoga poses or dancing)
P-Praanaayaama Breathing (Your breath is 100 times more powerful than what you think it is)
O-Observing (This leads to awareness which is 50% of the goal reached)
W-Way of living (It includes everything you do from morning to night)
E-Eating (You are what you eat. Your stress or focus depends on it)
R- Relationships (The people you choose to be around influence you in a positive or negative way)
Each step impacts your physical and mental wellbeing.

Gauri: Where are you headed from here? Any dreams close to your heart that you would like to share with us?

Shanthi: I want my training to be accessible to anyone globally. So I have created an online multimedia training curriculum called “YogaLaasya” that has 75% Yoga poses, 10% dance, and 15% storytelling and Vedic wisdom. It is fun and promotes spiritual weight loss. You can know more about it at http://tinyurl.com/happymoves. I love to create online programs on everything that I currently offer as workshops in schools and colleges, and on topics like Yogic eating and mental healing that I am currently training my clients on.  I dream to write several books. I have started writing my first.
My dream is also to start a Yoga teachers training program and travel the world offering retreats and workshops. Anyone wishing to move forward in life and looking for guidance on their next step can sign up for a FREE Skype/phone consultation with me.
Connect with me through www.yogaforhappiness.com
Http://Www.Facebook.Com/Yogatohappiness
Http://Www.Twitter.Com/Yogatohappiness
Http://Www.Linkedin.Com/In/Shanthiyogaforhappiness

Or write to Namaste@yogaforhappiness.com